Monday, July 4, 2011

I'll give you eyes of blue

I don't have much time, but I'll post something.  I'm sorry that I've neglected my blog, but I was attending the national IKGA summer camp (International Karate-do Goju-kai Association).  It was a huge success!  And guess what?!?!?!?!  My home town hosted the camp and I myself designed the t-shirts!


Enough about myself, now for today's post I have chosen a song that is unique and most likely you've heard of if you know the artist (if you don't, go die in a hole).  The Song is "China Girl" by David Bowie from his album Let's Dance.




I found these song fact from this web site (this is becoming one of my favourite sites...)

·  In this song, the singer warns the China girl that he will destroy her culture by imparting Western values of materialism and superficial beauty. It can be argued that the song is about heroin addiction, as "China White" is slang for the drug.
·  Iggy Pop wrote this with Bowie. It first appeared on Iggy's 1977 album The Idiot. The song did not see commercial success until later performed by Bowie. Iggy Pop was a very influential musician, but he didn't sell a lot of albums and was often low on cash. The proceeds from this gave him some financial stability for the first time. (thanks, Angelique - Allentown, PA)
·  Stevie Ray Vaughan is the lead guitarist on this song and most of the album. Bowie discovered him after seeing him at a music festival. Bowie got him to play on his album and asked him to tour with him, but Stevie surprisingly declined. He believed in his group Double Trouble and thought they could make a go of it on their own. (thanks, Scotty O, parts unknown).
·  Bowie's version was produced by Nile Rodgers, and was much more slick than Iggy Pop's version.
·  The video was banned in many countries, but it went over very well on MTV. It won the first ever award for Best Male Video at the 1984 Video Music Awards. New Zealand waitress Geeling Ng was chosen by Bowie to play his object of affection. She is now a TV presenter. Ng recalled to Q magazine June 2009: "David was my idol. When I met him, it was terrifying. But he was very easy to get on with." She added: "David and I started dating soon afterwards, but I didn't enjoy the lack of privacy."
·  In the video, Ng has a beach romp with Bowie. She told Q magazine: "Can I point out, contrary to popular belief, David and I did not have sex on the beach! It was shot at 5am; the water was freezing and wasn't a great lubricant and we were being watched by a film crew and joggers passing by. Not very romantic."

Here are the lyrics for the song:

Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl

I could escape this feeling, with my China Girl
I feel a wreck without my, little China Girl
I hear her heart beating, loud as thunder
Saw the stars crashing

I'm a mess without my little China Girl
Wake up in the morning. Where's my, little China Girl?
I hear our heart's beating, loud as thunder
I saw the stars crashing down

I'm feelin' tragic like I'm Marlon Brando
When I look at my China Girl
I could pretend that nothing really meant too much
When I look at my China Girl

I stumble into town just like a sacred cow
Visions of swastikas in my head
Plans for everyone
It's in the white of my eyes

My little China Girl
You shouldn't mess with me
I'll ruin everything you are
I'll give you television
I'll give you eyes of blue
I'll give you a man who wants to rule the world

And when I get excited
My little China Girl says
Oh baby just you shut your mouth
She says... shh
She says... shh
She says
She says

And when I get excited
My little China Girl says
Oh baby just you shut your mouth
And when I get excited
My little China Girl says
Oh baby just you shut your mouth
She says... shh
She says

Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl

In this song, it is quite evident that he is in love with her, but he is scared that he'll "ruin everything [she is]" (verse 6).  He's scared that not only her culture will be ruined, but also her pure chinese beauty will be tainted by his american genes (as in for children).  Her values will change as well, because he knows deep inside he only a greedy "man who wants to rule the world".  He loves her, but he is scared to ruin her.  Although he fears this, his china girl tells him not to worry, to not fret over that.

I hope you like the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment