Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In the stillness of remembering what you had, and what you lost

Maybe I should post more.
Just Maybe.
I'm too lazy.
I'm sorry, I'll build more enthusiasm!
...
Not happening right away.

Today I chose a song from Fleetwood Mac and their album Rumours.  The music for the song truly compliments the title, "Dreams", as if you're half dozed off and all there is is a soothing voice.

Now there you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well who am I to keep you down
It's only right that you should play it the way that you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness
Like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering
What you had, and what you lost
what you had, and what you lost

Thunder only happens when it's raining
Players only love you when they're playing
They say, women, they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean you'll know
You'll know

Now here I go again, I see the crystal vision
I keep my visions to myself
It's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams and
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell,
Dreams of Loneliness, like a heartbeat drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering
What you had, And what you lost
What you had, oh what you lost

Thunder only happens when it's raining
Players only love you when they're playing
They say, women, they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean you'll know

Oh thunder only happens when it's raining
Players only love you when they're playing
They say, women, they will come and they will go
When the rain washes you clean you'll know
You'll know
You will know
Oh oh oh you'll know


Info from here:

  • During the sessions for Rumours, everyone in the band was going through a breakup (Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham with each other, John and Christine McVie with each other, Mick Fleetwood with his wife) and doing a lot of drugs. They were able to work together, but most of the songwriting was on an individual basis. Stevie Nicks wrote this in the studio next door, where Sly Stone was recording. He had a big, semicircular bed and red velvet all over the walls - a great vibe for a song about dreams.
  • The line "Players only love you when they're playing" was probably directed at Lindsey Buckingham. Nicks was not pleased when he brought "Go Your Own Way" to the sessions, which was clearly about her.
  • This was Fleetwood Mac's only #1 hit in the US.
  • Stevie Nicks told Q magazine June 2009 that this was a different response to Buckingham's frank broadside to her in "Go Your Own Way." She explained: "It was the fairy and the gnome. I was trying to be all philosophical. And he was just mad."
  • In 1998 a Todd Terry re-mix of a cover by The Corrs peaked at #6 in the UK. The Irish group originally recorded the song for a Fleetwood Mac tribute album. Mick Fleetwood, who is a fan of The Corrs, had asked them to record it.
  • Stevie Nicks recalled to The Daily Mail October 16, 2009: "I remember the night I wrote 'Dreams.' I walked in and handed a cassette of the song to Lindsey. It was a rough take, just me singing solo and playing piano. Even though he was mad with me at the time, Lindsey played it and then looked up at me and smiled. What was going on between us was sad. We were couples who couldn't make it through. But, as musicians, we still respected each other - and we got some brilliant songs out of it."
... I don't know what to say for my rant, all seems to be said and done, so I'll leave you with the "Go Your Own Way".


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment