Friday, December 10, 2010

I love the arts (yes it is a blunt statement)

I'm sure you understand my point vision of music; life without music is nothing. I play music, I listen to music, I enjoy music But there isn't just one kind of art that i enjoy, I also enjoy drawing, the current style i use is more so manga, but its the style i know right now.  I love to sing (you don't have to be good at something to like it), I'm a tenor.  All this is part of the fine arts, the one kind of art the everyone immediately recognizes as art, but as far as I'm aware, there are three.
Another style of art that I'm interested in is the language arts (sure my grammar / spelling / conjugation / etc suck, but it's the inner content that counts).  I love creating stories, and then writing a poem to go with the story; ask any of my friends, they'd tell you the same thing: i waste my time thinking of new story ideas.  Not only that, but i love to read.  It's passed through the family, we have at least 400 books in our house, maybe more.  Most people see language arts as a more scholar thing, it is, but it's also an art.  I speak two languages fluently, English and French, a few phrases in Japanese, and i plan on learning Italian, the language my mother lost growing up in Canada.
The last art I practice is the martial arts.  I am a student of Goju Ryu Karate.  Most people only see Karate as a sport, but if you've seen how beautify kata can be preformed, you'd see how it's an art.  There's a difference between preforming kata and expressing kata in your movements.  I've seen brown and black belts "dance" the taikyoko kata (s) (not sure how the word would be plural) (beginner / foundation kata).  Taikyoko kata are taught crisp and clean, so for someone to dance a taikyoko kata properly keeping all technics clean, it's really an amazing job.  Seiunchin kata ("to grasp and pull off balance" or "marching far quietly") is a kata that demonstrate and equal for of power and flow; there are time to be fast and times to be slow.  Even slow you have power, but you don't tense up, even when fast there is a flow, but you don't get weak and sloppy.  Goju  means "hard soft", in our kata we aren't just "hard" or just "soft", we combine the two.  Sanchin kata ("three battles / conflicts") isone of our signature kata, the three battles refer to that of the mind, body and spirit.  Our body gets tired, we must fight to keep going, our mind is tired, so we must concentrate harder, we must keep our spirits up or we'll get sloppy.  This kata represents the Go of Goju Ryu Karate.  Tensho kata ("rotating hands") is now taught at a higher level [not till your chudan ho black belt grading (i think)], but it's also a signature Goju Ryu Karate kata.  This kat represent the Ju part of Goju Ryu Karate.

No comments:

Post a Comment