Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dropped to the sun alone

I find one of the most amazing things in song writing, is the talent to use so little words and tell so much.  Some songs have one simple line that is repeated.  The song Is Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd is exactly that, but if you've listened to the whole album The Wall, you'd know where in the story he is, and the importance of that one line.  "Is anybody out there [outside the wall]..." 

The Wall is amazing, they even made a movie out of the album, but I'll talk about it another day.  Today I chose a song by one of my favourite groups, Wilco.  This song is very simple in lyrics, but if you listen closely, there's a tragic story to be found.  The lines 

Because I've found the way those engines sound
Will make you kiss the ground,
When you touch down

gives the impression that the engine is noisy, probably from an old plane, one that uses "props not a jet". And

Dash 7 pointed down
The captain's announcement,
Doesn't make a sound

could mean that the plane is crashing, because you can't hear what he's saying.  It could just be nothing.  Either way, anyone would feel uncomfortable on that plane.  Here's Dash 7 by Wilco.



Dash 7 in the air,
Dropped to the sun alone,
Jets hum

I wish that I was still there,
Props not a jet, alone,
Where the sun doesn't come down

Because I've found the way those engines sound,
Will make it kiss the ground,
When you touch down

Dash 7 pointed down
The captain's announcement,
Doesn't make a sound

Because I've found the way those engines sound,
Will make it kiss the ground
I found the way those engines sound,
Will make it kiss the ground,
When you touch down

No comments:

Post a Comment