Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 22 - A Song I Listen to When I'm Sad

As I said, my mood doesn't really affect my choice of music.  So this is just a regular post in a sense.  *looks at mp3* This song here has a depressing title, I'll pretend that it goes with the topic.  *plays song*  I like it...  I hope you do to!  The song is called "Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)".  Lets see if I can find it on You Tube...


Yes!  I found it!  *longer through the song*  Hey, there's lyrics too! (after about six minutes of instrumentals)

Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)
The roses in the window box
Have tilted to one side
Everything about this house
Was born to grow and die

Oh it doesn't seem a year ago
To this very day
You said I'm sorry honey
If I don't change the pace
I can't face another day

And love lies bleeding in my hand
Oh it kills me to think of you with another man
I was playing rock and roll and you were just a fan
But my guitar couldn't hold you
So I split the band
Love lies bleeding in my hands

I wonder if those changes
Have left a scar on you
Like all the burning hoops of fire
That you and I passed through

You're a bluebird on a telegraph line
I hope you're happy now
Well if the wind of change comes down your way girl
You'll make it back somehow 



Song Facts: (from here)

  • Elton wrote the music for this song after thinking about what he would want played at his funeral.
  • The "Funeral For A Friend" section is instrumental. It transitions into "Love Lies Bleeding," an angry song about a broken relationship. Bernie Taupin, who is Elton's songwriting partner, wrote the lyrics.
  • Since this is about 11 minutes long, it was not released as a single. It became a very popular song on FM radio, partly because it wasn't played very often, and also because it gave DJs a chance to take a bathroom break or smoke a cigarette.
  • The synthesizer part was played by Dave Hentschel, a producer and engineer who learned how to program the Moog Synthesizer, which was fairly new at the time. He went on to work with Ringo Starr and Phil Collins.
  • Progressive Rock group Dream Theater (who are known as Dream Theatre in Europe) did a cover of this on their 1995 album A Change of Seasons. (thanks, Danny - Franklin, GA)


So it's two songs... I really love this song!  I hope you do too!  See you all later! (and no, I'm not skipping class, it's a half day -.-)

No comments:

Post a Comment